Table of contents
Zoë Kravitz is a multifaceted American actress, singer, and model born on December 1, 1988, in Los Angeles, California. She is the daughter of actress Lisa Bonet and musician Lenny Kravitz. With such artistic lineage, Kravitz was primed for a career in the entertainment industry.
Early Life and Education
- Kravitz attended Miami Country Day School and then Rudolf Steiner School in Manhattan, emphasizing artistic creativity.
- She battled anorexia and bulimia during her teen years, which she later opened up about, discussing its impact on her life and career.
- She studied acting at the State University of New York at Purchase (SUNY Purchase) but left college after a year to pursue acting.
- Kravitz's first film role was in "No Reservations" (2007), and she attained wider recognition with "The Brave One" in the same year.
- Her breakout roles were in "X-Men: First Class" (2011), where she played Angel Salvadore, and "Mad Max: Fury Road" (2015), portraying Toast the Knowing.
- She gained significant attention for her role as Bonnie Carlson in the critically acclaimed television series "Big Little Lies" (2017–2019).
- Kravitz has also appeared in other successful films including "Divergent" (2014) and its sequels, as well as the "Fantastic Beasts" film series.
- In 2022, she starred as Catwoman/Selina Kyle in "The Batman," alongside Robert Pattinson, turning in a critically lauded performance.
- She fronted the band Lolawolf, releasing music and touring. The band's sound has been described as electropop and has released several albums and EPs.
Modeling and Fashion
- As a model, Zoë has worked with prestigious fashion brands and magazines, gracing covers and being the face of campaigns.
- She is known for her unique, edgy style and has been a regular figure at fashion events and a trendsetter.
Personal Life and Activism
- Kravitz was previously married to actor Karl Glusman from 2019 to 2021.
- She has been open about social and political issues, lending her voice to various causes including environmental concerns and gender equality.
Notable Traits and Recognition
- Throughout her career, Kravitz has been lauded for her acting range, from indie dramas to blockbuster franchises.
- She is known for her poise in handling complex characters and bringing an authentic presence to her performances.
- Kravitz has been nominated for and won several accolades throughout her career for both her acting and her contributions to film and television.
Influence and Public Image
- As a mixed-race individual in Hollywood, Kravitz has spoken about her experiences with racial stereotyping and her navigation through the landscape of the film industry.
- She has been cited as a role model for young women and someone who breaks the mold in terms of traditional Hollywood beauty standards, advocating for body positivity and self-acceptance.
Kravitz continues to be active in her career, undertaking new projects in acting while also engaging in fashion, music, and activism. Her diverse talents and vocal advocacy for social issues keep her in the public eye as a prominent figure in contemporary culture.